- Born 1972 in Johannesburg, South Africa
- Based in Berlin, Germany
Recent works by Candice Breitz have focused on the conditions under which empathy is produced, reflecting on a media-saturated global culture in which strong identification with fictional characters and celebrity figures runs parallel to widespread indifference to the plight of those facing real world adversity. Following the completion of her works Love Story (2016) and TLDR (2017), she is currently working on the third part of a video trilogy that critically probes the attention economy. Breitz has been a tenured professor at the Braunschweig University of Art since 2007.
- Candice Breitz: Love Story (solo), Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, USA
- Candice Breitz: Sex Work (solo), Salon Berlin / Museum Frieder Burda, Berlin, Germany
- FRONT International: Cleveland Triennial for Contemporary Art, Cleveland, USA
- 57th Venice Biennial, South African Pavilion, Venice, Italy