- Born 1990 in Wuhan, China
- Based in Beijing, China
Ge Yulu graduated from the Hubei Institute of Fine Arts, School of Animation, Studio for Video Media Majors and from the Central Academy of Fine Arts School of Experimental Art. His work explores the theme of individual resistance in the public space. For GE YU LU (Road), the artist named anonymous streets in Beijing after himself, a play on his own name which ends with the Chinese character for road. Ge installed unauthorized street signs, and by mid-2015 Chinese online map services had, in swift succession, registered “Ge Yu Lu” as an official street name. His work raises questions surrounding public spaces: Who owns them? What functions exist within them and for what purpose? How are they governed? How is our world constructed and how are we permitted participation in it? By following the full development of Ge’s interventions, the viewer encounters the elusive mechanisms that dictate the public space.
- Culture City of East Asia 2018 Kanazawa, Altering Home, Ishikawa, Japan
- 1st Borderless Art Season, Fei Art Museum, Guangzhou, China
- Exhibition of Annual of Contemporary Art of China, Beijing Minsheng Art Museum, Beijing, China
- 4th Documentary Exhibition of Fine Arts, Stress Field, Hubei Museum of Art, Wuhan, China
- 3rd CAFAM Biennial, Negotiating Space: I Never Thought You Were Like That, CAFA Art Museum, Beijing, China