- Born 1980 in Yamaguchi, Japan
- Based in Bandung, Indonesia
Imazu Kei completed her master’s degree at Tama Art University. She creates sketches on Photoshop by enlarging and layering image data culled from a vast range of media—such as of classical masterpieces of painting and photos posted on social media—and uses these as the basis for executing her oil on canvases. The warped and intricately intertwined motifs are telling of how the artist has continuously grappled with the notion of painting itself. Her artistic practice, predicated on the fact that every possible subject has been treated over the course of art’s history revolves around pursuing new technical approaches to painting, and reflecting on their significance. Imazu’s work is created through an approach that merges today’s technology with a traditional medium. It brings together contemporary social issues and the themes arising from the chosen motifs into one cohesive world.
- Roppongi Crossing 2019: Connexions, Mori Art Museum, Tokyo, Japan
- Measuring Invisible Distance (solo), YAMAMOTO GENDAI, Tokyo, Japan
- Contemporary Art of the 21st Century – Exhibition of Taguchi Art Collection from Andy Warhol to Yoshitomo Nara, The Hiratsuka Museum of Art, Kanagawa, Japan
- In Focus: Contemporary Japan, Minneapolis Institute of Art, Minneapolis, USA